(Laxsmi with her son Alex. They are both dressed in traditional Nepali clothing)
During our first few years here in Nepal I was studying the Tibetan language. I certainly am not fluent but can carry on simple conversations with people around town. When we returned to Nepal from the states I had decided that I was going to spend some time trying to learn the Nepali language (the majority language of the people here) and so for about 4 months I have been studying and trying to practice the Nepali language. A few months ago I met this sweet, sweet lady named Laxsmi who owns a small cosmetics shop near the Buddhist temple (stupa). She is 2 years younger than me, doesn't speak any English and has a new 6 month old baby. I stopped to talk to her one day and practice some of the Nepali I had just learned. Since then we have been spending more and more time together, attempting to get to know each other through my very broken Nepali. She is so gracious to let me sit with her in her shop and fumble through sentences. Often times she just rambles in Nepali and I try with all of my might to hang onto every word and figure out what she is trying to say.
Anyway, the other day she invited me to her home for her son's first rice feeding. This is a big celebration that Nepali people do at the time that they feed their baby their first taste of food. I am still learning all of the religious and cultural significance of this celebration. The day that her son was having his first rice feeding was also one of the main days of a festival here that I mentioned a few posts ago called 'Dashaian'. Laxsmi's family is actually Tibetan Buddhist but they celebrate some of the days of this Hindu festival (a lot of the religion that is practiced here has become a mixture of Hinduism and Buddhism). We had never been to a rice feeding or to anyone's home for the main day of Dashaian so we were happy to have been invited. We enjoyed getting to meet more of Laxsmi's family and learning a little more about their practices. They invited us to 'take tika' (the red powder that is put in the middle of the forehead as a blessing) but we refused politely explaining that we were Christians. They were very understanding. I am so thankful for this time to get to know Laxsmi even more. She is so sweet and I am enjoying getting to know her. Hopefully I can clearly share the Truth with her one day soon.
Keane wearing Alex's topi (traditional Nepali hat)
Eating some Asian snacks
The traditional Nepali meal that was served to us. Rice, lentils, chicken and vegetables. It was really delicious!
Keane and Gracie really like Nepali food. They got rice EVERYWHERE but they enjoyed eating it!
Here is Laxsmi and her husband. They are receiving tika from his father (during this festival they receive tika from their elders)
Laxsmi's husband after receiving the tika
Laxsmi's sister receiving tika
Most of the family with me, Keane and Gracie
Laxsmi's mom feeding Alex a spoon of rice. Each family member took turns feeding Alex and giving him tika.
No comments:
Post a Comment