The time has come for Keane and Gracie to upgrade from their pack and plays to "big boy and girl beds". Finding "big boy and girl beds" and bedding and other decorations to make a fun children's room is not easy here in Nepal but it is not impossible. Almost everything has to be custom ordered (sounds more glamorous than it actually is :)!) and hunted down to find the right fabric, the right tailor and the right carpenter. The first carpenter I went to to see about making the beds gave me a quote of 10,000 Nepali rupees per bed which is about $150. That sounded really high to me so I went across town to my friends carpenter and he ended up charging me only 5500 Nepali rupees (about $80 per bed) for the SAME bed! Crazy! That is one of the difficulties here...you have to bargain for everything...so you never know if you are getting ripped off. Anyway, thankfully the beds turned out great and so did the bedding we had made. I have been to so many small fabric shops and tailors to find just the right color and style that I want...what I would have done for the children's bedding section at Target. Since the hard work is done now it is fun that their room is something that we created ourselves from what we found around town. The last part is that Ryan is going to paint some animals on the walls and then the jungle room will be complete!
Wednesday, April 7
New beds...new room...growing up!
The time has come for Keane and Gracie to upgrade from their pack and plays to "big boy and girl beds". Finding "big boy and girl beds" and bedding and other decorations to make a fun children's room is not easy here in Nepal but it is not impossible. Almost everything has to be custom ordered (sounds more glamorous than it actually is :)!) and hunted down to find the right fabric, the right tailor and the right carpenter. The first carpenter I went to to see about making the beds gave me a quote of 10,000 Nepali rupees per bed which is about $150. That sounded really high to me so I went across town to my friends carpenter and he ended up charging me only 5500 Nepali rupees (about $80 per bed) for the SAME bed! Crazy! That is one of the difficulties here...you have to bargain for everything...so you never know if you are getting ripped off. Anyway, thankfully the beds turned out great and so did the bedding we had made. I have been to so many small fabric shops and tailors to find just the right color and style that I want...what I would have done for the children's bedding section at Target. Since the hard work is done now it is fun that their room is something that we created ourselves from what we found around town. The last part is that Ryan is going to paint some animals on the walls and then the jungle room will be complete!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment