Thursday, June 24

Adventures...


The other day I really wanted to take the kids out for the day to a mall (it is relatively new...built in the last year) and for some grocery shopping. I had heard from a friend that the mall had a new play area for toddlers in it (which is RARE here) so I decided to try it out. Ryan was teaching a training all day Friday so I decided that it would be a good day to go. Unfortunately as I got us all ready to head out the door it started pouring. Thankfully the girl who helps me in my house had arrived already so she stayed with the kids while I walked to get a taxi to bring back to the house (less than 5 minute walk...I usually walk with the kids but in the pouring rain it was much easier by myself!). We loaded in the car and were off. The ride is about 20 minutes. I gave Keane and Gracie a snack in the car to keep them occupied. By the time we arrived the rain had really slowed down which was nice and the kids still had really good attitudes!




(Our view from inside the taxi)
It was really raining and the roads were getting flooded
This is a picture of the taxi that we took (the little red car) and the place where he dropped us off.
This is the entrance to the mall. It really is nice (especially for Nepal) and it has A/C. But it certainly is NOT like American or Thailand malls but we are thankful for it and glad that it is here in Kathmandu!
In one of the stores we went to they had some toys. This "Nemo fish" toy is one of them. I thought the box was HILARIOUS! "Amusive Fish....A funny pet for you". Needless to say, we passed on the "Amusive fish" although Keane and Gracie would have been very happy to have had it!
I found the play-place on the 3rd floor. It costs 100 rupees (about $1.50) per child per 1/2 hour or 150 rupees (about $2) per child per hour. Keane and Gracie ended up playing for 1/2 hour and would have played for longer but we had to get lunch, grocery shop and get home before nap time. They really did enjoy it though and I will definitely take them back again!






At lunch time we walked up to the "food court" and tried to find something to eat but the "King Burger" was out of chicken, beef and french fries and all of the other food was Indian or Chinese (which didn't look great) so we decided to just get some fountain sprites (which are also VERY, VERY rare here in Nepal) which Keane and Gracie loved and eat lunch back at home....what I would have done for a McDonald's or Chic-fil-a at this point!
We got home fine and they took a great nap! It was a great day. The next day we went out for a walk around our community. Here cows just roam the streets and while Keane and Gracie are pretty afraid of getting too close to them (which is fine by us) they do LOVE to see them. (I just LOVE this picture....cow, shop, motorbike and Tibetan woman...all in one picture...the streets of Nepal are crazy!)
The kids here love to play with Keane and Gracie. These little girls were no exception. Although Gracie doesn't look too happy in this picture she really did like these girls and had fun with them!
At the Buddhist stupa by our house there are always tons of pigeons. I really can't stand them but Keane and Gracie think they are fun to look at.

On the way home we stopped at the local vegetable market for some veggies for dinner. Keane and Gracie always want to carry the bags themselves.
Then we stopped and got watermelon. They love watermelon and it is so cheap here...just 10 cents a slice...and SO refreshing since it is so hot here right now!
I often miss the "normal things" that I would be able to do with Keane and Gracie if we lived in America but I am also so thankful for the little things we get to do here each day that always seem to have some sort of adventure tied to them. It is not always easy but if we try we can find fun places to go and neat ways to have adventures in this very "foreign land" that we call "home" right now!

No comments: