Monday, February 21

Things I love about Thailand...

We have been in Thailand for the past 3 weeks and we have had a blast. Getting to come here for this time was an absolute surprise gift from God. When we first arrived in Thailand I was able to attend and help facilitate a new training called, "Best Practices for Women"...the training in itself is an answer to prayer...it was such a great training and was so applicable, encouraging and challenging. During that training time Ryan had the kids for the day (5 days total) and they went to parks, the mall, play areas, out to eat, etc. the kept busy in Chiang Mai. The next few days were filled with meetings...sometimes meetings can be long and boring but these meetings were a WONDERFUL time to connect with other co-workers, be encouraged, affirmed and challenged. We were blessed to have a church from America come and lead worship for us and share with us some pretty powerful messages from God's word. The church also brought a group of amazing volunteers who watched our kids for us so we could attend these meetings. The kids had a blast making arts and crafts, learning stories, playing outside, playing in the pool and going to the zoo. While we were in Chiang Mai we also got to have some really great time with our friends who used to live in Nepal with us but now live in Thailand. We also got to go to the Night Safari where we were able to see zebras, giraffes and tons of other wildlife up close! After about 10 days in Chiang Mai we traveled to Bangkok to have our yearly physicals and check-ups at the hospital where Keane and Gracie were born. Our visits made for long days but we are so thankful for good medical care (and insurance!). We also celebrated Valentine's day in Bangkok by eating good pizza, shopping and ice cream!


After our few days in Bangkok we drove about 2 hours south to a beach area called Cha-Am. The beach is my absolute favorite place on earth. The smells, the sounds, the waves, the sand, the wind, the sun, there is just something "magical" about it all (and VERY relaxing too). Getting to get a break from our lives in Nepal every once in a while is a gift from God. Of course we could make it without a break...we can do all things through Him who strengthens us but the breaks are gifts. When we are away we are able to process things in a different way, take time to think and reflect and be refreshed in a way that is much harder to do while in Nepal. We are still here at the beach as I type this but we will be leaving tomorrow. To say that we have had an awesome family vacation would be an understatement. God has blessed our time in many more ways than I can count. We have been able to stay in an AMAZING hotel, have great weather each day, eat good food, have WONDERFUL family time, catch and play with TONS of crabs, clams, conchs, snails, etc., see Keane learn to "swim" with floaties for the first time, make sand castles, take baths, drink iced coffees and slurpees, celebrate Keane and Gracie's 3rd birthday, get tans and enjoy uninterrupted family time which is a PRECIOUS gift!  






Tonight we celebrated Keane and Gracie's 3rd birthday with dinner at Burger King (I know it doesn't sound fancy at all but it is a real treat for us since we don't get to eat good burgers in Nepal) and ice cream fondue at Swensen's ice cream shop. I can't believe my two are 3! I love them and being their mom more than words could ever express. It is my greatest joy!



Tomorrow we head back to Bangkok for one more night before we fly back to Nepal on Wednesday morning. We have made some unforgettable memories on this trip. We are so grateful that God would allow our family to have this time together...we don't take one second of it for granted. I am sad to leave but I feel refreshed, energized and excited about what God has in store for us, our lives, our work and the Tibetan Buddhist people of Nepal. Before I end this post though I would like to tell you a few of my favorite things about Thailand:
1. The warm weather: it is "winter" here in Thailand and that means the weather is perfect for the beach!
2. Banana roti...sweet crepe like bread with bananas inside and sweetened condensed milk and sugar sprinkled on top! YUM!
3. Thai food (like pad thai, chicken with cashew nuts, spring rolls, seafood soup, etc)
4. Bath tubs with unlimited warm water that comes from the tap!
5. 24 hour electricity (we are up to 14 hours a day without power in Nepal)
6. The beach (and SO much about it!)
7. Tuk-tuks (3-wheeled transportation)
8. "to-go" drinks...take-away drinks are VERY rare in Nepal and so are drinks with ice and so is diet coke (unless you buy it from one of the stores where they sell imported items) so being able to get a large diet coke (or iced coffee or slurpee) fountain drink with ice and carry it with me in the car, to the beach, anywhere I want is AWESOME!
9. Wearing fewer clothes. Before we left Nepal we were wearing several layers and long johns even inside our home (because there is no indoor heating except for space heaters) and here it is SO nice to wake up each morning and throw on some shorts and a t-shirt and wear flip-flops!
10. Buffet breakfasts (and eating out at good restaurants)...I haven't had to cook for 3 weeks! AMAZING (although I do enjoy cooking and look forward to doing it when I get back this break was really, really nice!)
11. Massages. An hour long massage here costs about $6.
12. Fast Internet. I have been able to upload pics and videos so quickly!
13. Beautiful malls. Bangkok seriously has some of the nicest malls I have ever seen in my entire life.  
14. Good medical care (Bumrungrad Hospital is absolutely amazing...it is where K and G were born)
15. Clean streets and fresh air (especially at the beach)






No comments: