Tuesday, August 19

The Kathmandu Post Office and Ridiculousness

The other day we received a wonderful package in the mail from Ryan's parents (THANK YOU Stan and Kathy). It had some Crystal Light drink mixes, spices, magazines, shirt for Ryan, American food and some other great things. We were so thankful for it. We have been so thankful for all of the packages we have received from my parents, Ryan's parents, friends and other family. Since we moved here, every time I go and pick up a package from the post office, I say that I am going to come home and blog or email you guys all about the experience but I never have...so, here it is, I am finally doing it:
 
When we first moved to Nepal we heard from many of the other Americans who had lived here for a long time about the HASSEL of going to pick up a package here in Kathmanudu and all the problems that come along with it. However, we have since then, picked up many packages from the post office and have not found our times full of problems but simply full of ridiculousness and SO many useless steps. So, here is what a trip to pick up your package looks like:
 
Step 1: Go to our local post office about 20 minute drive from our house (kind of like a Mail Boxes, Etc. (but not quite)) and check your box for a slip of paper saying you have a package.
Step 2: If you have a slip then you take it to the counter to see if your package is at that post office or if it is too large and has been sent to the general post office.
Step 3: Most of the time we are told our package has been sent to the general post office and that we must pick it up there. (Please don't let this deter you from sending big packages, remember I said it was simply a ridicilious process not a horrible one ) The man at our local post office gives us a paper that we must take to the general post office along with a copy of our passport and makes me sign a book saying I received the slip.
Step 4: Decide when we will go to the general post office (they have limited hours and are closed for lunch, etc) Most of the time we go right away.
Step 5: Drive 15 more minutes to the general post office. Since we have babies now, this time Ryan waited in the car and I "ran" in.
Step 6: Walk in (past the men's bathroom that smells TERRIBLE) and stop at the front counter. I have to give the man there my slip from the local post office and a copy of my passport. He has me sign my name on the front and back of the slip and write my phone number on it. He then staples my passport copy to the slip. He tells me to take the slip to the next room.
Step 7: I take my slip to the next room FULL from floor to ceiling with packages and give it to the man working there. He doesn't say anything but takes the slip and writes some information about it in his book. Then, walks away and in about 3 minutes he is back with my package. But don't worry, the story does NOT end there .
Step 8: I have to sign that mans book saying that I received my package and I then carry it out back to the first counter and have to leave it there. Then the man at that counter tells me to go into room 31 (which is right around the corner) with my slip.
Step 9: I walk into room 31 which a simple room with desks lining all of the walls and about 6 different men sitting at the different desks. I walk up to the first desk and without saying anything give the man there my slip. He asks for 20 rupees (about 30 cents) and gives me a form that is about 6 pages thick and has carbon paper throughout it and it held together by a simple pin (yes, like a sewing pin). The sheet is all in Nepali so the man points to where I need to write some information and after I write my country and sign my name he points to the next desk and off I go. (The last time we were here they gave me some of the snack they were eating and almost always all of the men are smoking cigarettes).
Step 10: I go to the man at the next desk and he looks over my paper and my slip and fills out some more info. He signs it and then comes with me out to the first counter (where my package is waiting for me). He opens my package there and asks me about everything that is in it. I explain that it is American food and stuff for our home. He is interested in some of the items and curious about them so he takes a few minutes to enjoy looking at all of the American things, all while smiling. He signs the paper again and puts a rupee amount on the paper. He then points in the direction of another room and tells me to go in there.
Step 11: I enter the new room and find two Nepali men sharing the same chair (yes, they were sharing the same chair). That is not uncommon here. Nepali men who are friends hold hands, sit in each others lap and put their arms around each other. I am not surprised by this but I am sure some of you are and they are at work which is even funnier to me but thus is the culture of Nepal! Anyway, one of the guys was on the phone so the other guy told me to have a seat for a minute. So, I sat down and when the guy was off the phone the two of them talked about my paper and slip and then both men sign the slip. Then they point back to room 31 so I go there.
Step 12: Back in room 31, I have to get 2 more signatures from different men at the desks lining the walls and I have to pay my customs tax on my package (120 rupees, about $2) I have not idea how they figure this out, other than the fact that they arbitrarily guess how much the items in the box are worth. Anyway, I pay my money and get a hand written receipt and my carbon copy of the form that was signed by many different men. They then smile, say "Namaste" and then point me in the direction of the first counter (where my now opened package was waiting for me).
Step 13: I go out to the counter. Show the man at that counter my receipt saying that I paid my tax and then  that man asks me to pay 25 rupees (about 30 cents) to him (not sure why but I am sure there is some reason, so I do it) and then I have to sign in one last book saying I finished the process and actually took my package home. Then for some reason about 3 of the men from room 31 come out to see me and my package off. They say a few things to me in Nepali like where do I live and what am I doing here and do I have a husband and children and that my Nepali language is good (although it is not) The nice man at the first counter smiles, hands me my package and says, "Ferri Batola" (see you again).
Step 14: I walk out of the post office, thankful that the 13 steps are finished that I had to complete in order to get my package and thankful that it only took about 15 minutes and 145 rupees (a little more than $2) inside the general post office and I walk to the car and meet Ryan and the babies and smile and nod my head (he knows exactly what I just went through) and he smiles back. I then show him what is in the package (since it is already opened) he is excited about our new stuff and we are on our way! 
 
 

No comments: