Monday, June 8

Noise

One of the biggest things I have noticed since being back in Nepal are all of the different noises I hear as I go throughout my day. We actually live in a (relatively) pretty quiet area of town. We are off on back dirt roads and although some houses surround our home we have a lot more space than the average home in Kathmandu. However, there are still TONS of noises to be heard. As I laid in bed this morning (at about 6:30 am) I tried to really focus on each sound I heard (I often try to just tune them out). Some of the sounds made me laugh because although we live in a big city some of them made it sound like we were on a farm!

Here are all of the sounds that I heard that I could identify this morning at 6:30 am:

- Cows mooing
- Cars, motorcycles and their engines and horns
- Birds chirping
- A rooster crowing
- Dogs barking
- People talking in Nepali
- Kids playing outside
- A pressure cooker steaming
- A whistle
- A dump truck unloading dirt in a lot by our house
- Men shoveling concrete for the house being built next door
- A tractor
- Babies (not mine) crying
- A man spitting

It is amazing but Keane and Gracie sleep through it all. We bought them a sound machine that plays different sounds such as ocean, rain, etc. and we play that for them as they sleep. I think it helps tune out some of the noise. Their room is on the back side of the house as well so they can't hear all of the different noises. The first few nights here some of these sounds made it difficult to fall asleep at night but now I have no problem at all. It is amazing what you get used to!

No comments: