Saturday, March 27

Holi


This photo is of my neighbors front yard. All of those white dots on the ground are bags that used to be filled with water and were thrown during a water "bag"/balloon fight. They use these bags here instead of balloons because they are cheaper and faster to fill I guess...I sure would not want to clean that up but I know they had fun!

More of my Tibetan monk neighbors...

Keane and Gracie with Lhakpa (my friend and my house helper)
Neighbors enjoying the day off...
Our neighbors (who are Tibetan monks) waiting for people to pass by so they could soak them with water...


Keane and Gracie playing with water on our patio

Some of my neighbors on their roof hitting unsuspecting people passing by with water balloons.

It is kind of hard to see but the guy in this photo is COVERED in pink color!
Because we have been without electricity (and often Internet) for at least 12 hours a day finding a good time to blog has been really hard. I have had a lot that I have wanted to blog about but unfortunately I haven't gotten around to it for the past three weeks. I will attempt to catch you up with the last few weeks in the next few posts...

Holi is a Hindu festival (if you want to read more about it then just type Holi into google and tons of info will come up) celebrated at the beginning of spring every year throughout India and Nepal (and other Hindu areas). It is a time of worship and celebration this year the main day was celebrated on Feb. 28th. It usually lasts several days. On one of the main days of the festival everyone has off from school and work and the whole day is basically a huge water fight. On this day it is permissible to hit everyone and anyone with bags and water balloons filled with water. Often the water has been dyed pink or other different colors making for some pretty interesting sights. I chose to stay in on Holi this year not wanting to get completely soaked (it is more fun for some reason to soak the foreigner!) but we were able to watch some of the action from our patio and I let Keane and Gracie play with some water outside...they had fun. Here are some pictures I took from my patio that day:

No comments: