Friday, June 24

Been Reading....

The past several months I have found myself doing more reading than normal and I have REALLY enjoyed it. I went through a time where I read mostly Christian fiction books. I enjoyed those very much as they were fun, entertaining reading that didn't require much thought at the end of a busy day. But recently I really wanted to read some books that challenged me, taught me, strengthened me and encouraged me that were above and beyond whatever I was doing for my normal daily devotions (lately I've been doing a Beth Moore bible study along with Bible reading for that. I am just a few lessons away from finishing her Believing God Bible Study). As a mom of twin three year olds, my time to read is very limited and I find that the best time for me to read these books is just a few chapters (or pages) at a time right before I go to bed OR on the elliptical machine at the gym. This often means that books take me longer to read than they normally would be that is OK. I have enjoyed them! Here are the books I have most recently read and LOVED:

 The Lotus and The Cross: Jesus talks with Buddha by Ravi Zacharias
Working and doing life with Buddhist people here in Nepal everyday this simple, easy to read book was such a creative way of reminding me of the ways that my Tibetan friends think about life, religion and worldview and how much of a contrast that is to the personal relationship that I have through Jesus. It showed clearly (and accurately) the differences between Buddha and Jesus. I would recommend this book to anyone but specifically to those of you who:
- work with Buddhist people either in America or overseas
- are interested in learning more about the differences between Buddhism and Christianity in a simple, creative way.
- are questioning the claims of Jesus/Christianity and find Buddhism appealing for your own life and who want to know what truly makes Jesus so much different than Buddha.

Expectations and Burnout: Women Surviving the Great Commission by Sue Eenigenburg and Robin Bliss.

This book was AMAZING. It was right what I needed when I needed it. It was so applicable to my life as a woman missionary. I learned so much about myself and was able to truly evaluate some of the ways that I have been feeling. This book reminded me that I am not alone in the ways that I feel and that there are many godly women who have gone before me and who are walking with me through this unique, special calling that God has on my life. This book examines the origin of the expectations (both real and perceived) that we have as missionary women. I would recommend this book to:
- women interested in missions and praying about the possibility of becoming a missionary.
- people (churches, families, small groups, sending organizations, professors, etc) who work with, teach and equip women in their calling as a missionary
- women who are currently missionaries (even if you have been on the field for many years) and who are preparing for missionary service
- husbands of women missionaries

<em>Radical</em>: Taking Back Your Faith from the American Dream [Book]Radical: Taking Back your Life from the American Dream by David Platt
You may think that this sounds like a funny title for someone who doesn't even live in America to be interested in reading but you might be surprised at what a battle it is for me to not glamorize what our life would be like if we lived in America (easier, more fun, better food, nice car, big house with a big yard, etc. etc.). Satan will use anything he can to distract us from what God has called us to do. I often find myself thinking that life would be "perfect" if I could just live the American dream. I often find myself loving the things of this world more than I love the things of God. This book was SUCH a good reminder of why Ryan and I are doing what we are doing and living where we are living. It was such a good reminder (unfortunately I need those from time to time) that God is WORTH it, Jesus is worth it and it is a privilege to be a part of the work that God is doing among the nations. Also, this book challenged me in some very practical ways as well. Specifically in the area of giving and being generous with the things that God has blessed me with. I HIGHLY recommend this book but be warned that you can't read this book without being willing to change something in your life. This book "forces" you to examine the choices we make in our lives and why we make them. I recommend this book to ANYONE but specifically to those of you who:
- feel like God is wanting more from their lives and are unsure of how to take the next step
- feel "bored" and unfulfilled with pursuing the American dream
- want to live your life completely radically for Jesus and need some practical, biblical encouragement for how to do so

Shepherding a Child's Heart  by Tedd Tripp
Wow. What a fantastic book this is for getting to the foundation of our children's behavior and learning how to guide, love and discipline them in a way that draws their little hearts closer and closer to God. I have learned so much already and I am only about 2/3rds of the way through this book. It is so applicable to where I am right now with my twin 3 year olds and I know it will continue to be as they grow, change and develop. I would recommend this book to:
- ALL parents

- anyone who works with and/or spends time with children on a regular basis

The next book on my reading list is:

 Gospel Powered Parenting by William Farley.

 What have you been reading lately?

No comments: