I have been wanting to write a post before we left for America for our stateside time but with having so much on my mind and heart, it has been hard to find the words to say to communicate all that I have been thinking and processing lately. Then yesterday, as I was walking down the busy Kathmandu street, it all came to me. I didn't want to let the moment pass so I stopped right there on the side of the road with cows, chicken, people, buses and cars and I started typing on my phone the thoughts that God was helping me put into words. Not the most convenient time but definitely thankful for it.
In two days we are leaving Nepal and heading back to America for about 8 months. This past month has been a very busy time of trying to do all we can to prepare for us to be gone from our life and work here for this time. We have lived in Nepal for almost 8 years now. We have lived in Nepal longer than anywhere else we have ever lived, except for our childhood. As I think about life here, I realize how content and comfortable I have become here. That really should not be. There are more reasons than I can name or count for why Nepal is definitely NOT the most comfortable place in the world to live (14 hours a day of no electricity in the winter is just one of those reasons) but God has promised to lead us and be our strength where we are called. When we step out in faith and look to Him for our comfort and our guide, He truly works in that way. It is definitely not easy but it is always best. There is nothing better than obedience to our Lord. Nothing better than following Him. I would be lying if I said it has been easy. There have been struggles, sadness, homesickness and daily frustrations but God never promises that it will be easy but rather that He will be with us wherever we go. That He will be our comfort, our strength and our joy.
This crazy place, Nepal, has become our home. This insane life is our life. I don't know what the future holds or how long we will live in Nepal but I am so thankful for God's work and that we have been and are privileged to be a small part of it. I am beyond thankful that God has allowed us to come to a place of utter dependence on Him. As we come back to America we are THANKFUL. Thankful for the ways He has so clearly worked in our lives and work in Nepal and so thankful that we get to return to a place we love so much. Coming to America in some ways is like returning to a foreign land but in other ways the most familiar place in the world. I don't know the latest trends or fashions, I don't know the ins and outs of texting or all of the technology that has come since we've been gone, I don't know about the new popular restaurants or even a lot about all of the political things going on but I know my family is there (and my precious newborn nephew, Cole), many of my friends are there, my church is there, some amazing shopping and delicious food is there and I so look forward to these things. I look forward to watching Keane and Gracie interact with their family who they love so much and who they don't often get to see. I look forward to getting to hug my parents and be with them in just 3 days! There is really so, so, so much we are excited about.
When God calls you to a new land, it changes you. I mean, totally changes you. You see the world differently now. It's amazing the way that our hearts can be in two places at once. Never completely at home in either place. One of my friends once said that living overseas is like mixing colors. In America, people see, think and process life through yellow lenses, for example. In Nepal, people see, think and process life through blue lenses. Once you live in another culture and make your life there, your colors get mixed. Now instead of seeing only through yellow lenses, I have lots of blue mixed into my color and I now see life through green lenses. Just like colors, once they are mixed, you can't really separate them again. I will always see with green lenses (that is until I add another color into that mix). I really am thankful to see life through green lenses now. I have a new perspective on life that I never had before.
America is the place where I was made, the place and culture that God used to shape me into who I am. It is an amazing place full of the people who I love and cherish and who God used to raise me, influence me, grow and challenge me. But Nepal is the place where God has formed me into who I have become, who I am today. It is crazy to think about but no matter where I end up in life, I will never be able to separate all that I have learned, seen and done in Nepal in with who I am today.
As I come back to America, I REJOICE. I rejoice for so many reasons. I rejoice because God is at work in Nepal and He is at work in America. I rejoice because although I am leaving my home in Nepal, I get the amazing opportunity to return to my home in America. I get to see America through the eyes of my children. I get to cherish special times with family. I get to refresh, recharge and refocus. Yes, we are leaving behind our home for a time in Nepal but we are coming home to our other home. Both of these homes are temporary. One day, my heart will be eternally home in heaven. I will be more content than I can even imagine as I sit in the presence of my Lord, who has promised to live with us forever in our eternal home. I can't wait. What an amazing time that will be. Until then, let's be sure to live our lives wherever God has us so that many others will one day join us there. This life is just a moment. Let's live our lives in light of eternity and never forget the amazing gift we have been given in our salvation. It is the most joyous privilege in the world to share that message with those everywhere who so desperately need a Savior.
"Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. My Father’s house has many rooms; if that were not so, would I have told you that I am going there to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am. You know the way to the place where I am going.” John 14:1-4
Words cannot express our thankfulness for each of you and your prayers for our family and the work here in Nepal. We look forward to sharing about all of the awesome things we have seen God do here as well as some of the challenges we have faced as we seek to be salt and light in this dark place.
"Sing to the Lord, for he has done glorious things;
let this be known to all the world." Isaiah 12:5





No comments:
Post a Comment