(Our old neighbor Tenzin, holding Keane)
Our time since we have been back in Nepal has been very good. Our Nepali and Tibetan friends have been wonderful and some of the things that I expected to be very difficult due to cultural differences with the babies have all been fine. God has definately been with us. There have been some funny moments when I realized that I was definately back in Nepal like when we got back and the battery that our electricity runs through so we can have constant electricity even when the power is out, had died while we were in Thailand so we went 24 hours without lights feeding the babies throughout the night with flashlights!! And the next day when Ryan was out at a meeting and had gone to pay our phone bill and I was home alone with our babies and the lady I had hired to come and help me clean the house rang the door bell, came in and wrapped Keane in all pink (Gracie's blanket that was laying out and her hat that was on the floor) while the guys who were coming to check our battery so we could have electricity were calling and lost trying to find our house and I had to keep running up to our neighbors house to use their phone to call the guys back and give them directions because none of our phones worked because the bills had not been paid while we were in Thailand and then it is time to start feeding the babies and they both start crying and I started to feed Gracie and give Keane his pacifier and the guys to look at the battery show up at the same time and they begin to look at my battery and tell me that we will have to be without electricity for 48 hours!!! And I minorly freak out inside because I really don't want to be without my fridge and oven (its electric), tv and lights (especially to feed the babies in the middle of the night) for another two whole days and I ask them to explain why and unfortunately they can't communicate in English what they need to say and I certainly can't do it it Nepali (since we are learning the Tibetan language) so I ask to call their manager who I know speaks English and he explains to me the situation and that our battery is completley dead and needs time to charge and so I ask him if I can just buy a new battery and have two and one for back up and have electricity as soon as the new battery is installed and he says yes so that is what I did. I bought a new battery and within a few hours (longer than I would have liked but oh well) the new battery was installed and running and we had power!!!
Our internet has been slower than usual so that is why this post is so long. I have been trying to post on blogger for days now and finally it is showing some hope of working. Also, it has been frusterating trying to communicate with my family in America because the internet is so slow Skype calls won't work....one of us can hear the other but not both. Anyway, that is just life in Nepal sometimes...I am grateful to have internet at all so I have to remember that!
The babies are doing really well...yesterday Gracie weighed 8 lbs 11 0z and Keane weighed 8 lbs 8 oz. Today they are 2 months old. In some ways it is hard to believe because it feels like yesterday and in other ways it feels like it has been so much longer than just 2 months!
(Keane and Gracie all swaddled up...the love it!)
(Keane swaddled with his pacifier...just the way he likes it!)
Gracie in her swing with the cutest pig slippers that were given to her by Aunt Jamy!
(Keane waiting for his bath above the kitchen sink)
(Gracie after he bath getting dried off)
(Keane before his bath)
(Ryan was already holding both of them while I made lunch and then I needed him to help me open the jelly jar and this is what it looks like...)
(The view one morning out of the babies room window. Unfortunately, most days it is way too smoggy to see this but this day it was such a beautiful view to look at while changing diapers!)
(A Tibetan friend and her daughter came is see and hold the babies)
(Gracie lounging around in her "boppy" pillow.)
Some interesting things our national friends believe about babies:
---They can never have on too many clothes. They always think that they are cold and should be wrapped in more and more blankets.
---That ANYTIME the baby cries or moans they are hungry and you should feed them.
---If the baby has hiccups it is cold.
---If a baby sneezes (anytime) it is cold.
4 comments:
WOW! Great post! We've had crazy days like you had BUT we didnt' have a baby, much less two! I don't know how you did it! You definitely ROCK!!! I LOVE all the pics! absolutely adorable!!! The view out your window was so cool!!
I like what you wrote about what your national friends believe - it's always fun to read that stuff :) I always wonder what they would laugh at and blog about us :) haha!
Great post!
I could just picture your day as you described it! I remember those days in Nepal, but I never had kids with me! It's awesome to see pictures of your Nepali friends with the babies! I'm glad you got electricity!! that's always a good thing.
kristin, the babies are so sweet! oh my goodness, they are just so CUTE! i hope you guys are doing well and you are thought of often! just so you know! your airplane story was so funny, i'm so proud you have handled all that traveling with twins so well! ya'll are awesome! anyway, i love the babies sweet pictures and always love hearing your stories. i know it's kind of crazy living in another country and dealing with everything, and I can't imagine trying to do it with newborn twins!
Kristin,
Your babies are beautiful! And twins--I can't even imagine. Jon and I have a 19 month old and one on the way but I can't imagine caring for twins. You and Ryan are my heroes! It's wonderful finding you and your blog through Facebook and catching up a little bit that way. I look forward to reading more about your ministry as I have some moments to peruse your blog (in between tending to the needs and wants of my boy, of course!)
Take care!
Love, Carrie
Post a Comment